Volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House at Boston Harbor
Volunteers are the “Heart of our House.” They serve in many ways and without their loyal support we would not be able to make the impact that we do. In 2019, our dedicated volunteers contributed over 1,400 hours of their time supporting our house operations and the families we serve.
If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, please complete our volunteer application below and we’ll get back to you. Thank you!
Please note: All volunteers must complete a CORI background check.
Volunteer Application BH
Meals with Love Volunteer
Whether it is 5 PM or 2 AM, families appreciate coming home from the hospital to a warm meal. Our House provides families a home cooked meal at least 3 times a week. Meals take place every Tuesday and Friday evening, and every Sunday afternoon.
Meals with Love volunteers help supply and prepare meals. This is an extremely flexible opportunity that is great for small groups or individuals. Volunteers must be 18 years old or older, but youth groups are welcome with adult supervision. One member of each meal group must complete a CORI background check.
Please see our Meals with Love FAQ for more information about this opportunity.
*Our meal program has changed to ensure the safety of our families, staff, and volunteers during the COVID-19 pandemic. In Boston, we are welcoming groups of 2 fully vaccinated volunteers. If you are interested in providing a meal for our families, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
The Activities program at the Ronald McDonald House of Boston Harbor provides a much-needed lift to our guest families. The opportunity to be entertained and even pampered helps alleviate stress and gives families the opportunity to spend time together outside of focusing on health issues.
Activity volunteers offer their time and talent in leading a diverse selection of activities for our families. Activities could include leading a craft activity, game night, giving manicures, face painting, leading a sing along, and so much more. We are always open to providing new activities, your unique ideas are always welcome!
Activity volunteers can also offer their time and talent by leading a virtual activity for our families. Making a craft with items found at home, reading a children’s book, or doing a simple cooking video are all great ways to give families some entertainment and enrichment. It is amazing to be able to continue to connect volunteers to present and former guest families in this way.
Please note: One member of each activity group must complete a CORI background check.
Off-site/Virtual Group Volunteer
We welcome group volunteers to take part in off-site projects and virtual days of service, based on the current needs of our house. This is a great way for corporate groups, youth groups, families, and other small or large groups to support our house in a socially distant and safe way.
For more information about current opportunities, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
As College Ambassadors you will have the opportunity to support, raise awareness, and fundraise for Ronald McDonald House Boston Harbor on your campus, at our house, and virtually.
- Host tabling events to raise awareness of RMHBH
- Fundraising events to support the house
- Toy Drives/Supply Drives
- Volunteer on-site at RMHBH
- Provide and prepare a meal for families
- Host family activity nights
- Offer tutoring sessions
- Assist staff with preparing apartments for incoming families
Volunteer Relief Managers are responsible for the smooth administration of the Ronald McDonald House Boston Harbor during their scheduled shifts. Relief Managers work independently to cover the office during ‘off hours’. This includes 4-8PM on weekdays and 9AM-5PM on weekends. The Volunteer Relief Manager will be scheduled anywhere from a 4 – 8 hour shift, depending on preference. Please note that this is strictly a volunteer position and is unpaid.
Typical duties include:
- Answer telephone and email inquiries
- Facilitate check-ins and check-outs
- Volunteer management
- Overseeing house volunteers, activity groups, and Meals with Love volunteers
- Providing meaningful tasks to house volunteers in the office during your shift
- Training new volunteers
- Guest Services and Relations
- Preparing apartments for incoming families
- Ensure proper enforcement of House policies
Volunteers assist staff members and guests with various administrative and hospitality tasks to ensure a pleasant experience for our guest families. House volunteers usually work four hour shifts at times that are mutually determined between the volunteer and the House staff.
Typical duties include:
- Perform simple computer work and/or general office work
- Keep community space clean and organized
- Manage inventory and restock as needed
- Prepare apartments for incoming families
- Assist with daily house maintenance/household chores
- Help with mailings/write thank you letters to donors
- Be available to answer guest family inquiries and interact with families in the community space
House Maintenance Volunteers assist staff members and guests with basic maintenance issues. Maintenance volunteers are utilized on an as-needed basis.
Typical duties include:
- Changing light bulbs
- Patching walls
- Hanging wall décor/fixtures
- Fixing furniture, loose cabinets, etc.
- Basic apartment maintenance
- Janitorial tasks
- Helping with Inventorying/moving of supplies
- Decorating apartments around holidays
As our families travel from all across the
world to seek out the best care for their child, they don’t always have transportation to get around Boston
. We are looking for drivers who are comfortable driving our RMH van and transporting families back and forth from the hospital, grocery store, activities, and other errands during their stay.
- Must be 25 years of age or older
- Must commit to at least one 4 hour shift per month
- Must have a clean driving record
Overnight & Weekend Phone Coverage
Our overnight family service volunteer adds an extra layer of support for our families while our office is closed (8pm-8am). Ronald McDonald House at Boston Harbor is seeking a volunteer to be on call to provide emergency support services for guest families between the hours of 8pm and 8am. This position is open to residents of Harborview at the Navy Yard only. Training on proper protocol and procedure will be provided.
Typical Duties Include:
- Be on-call from 8pm to 6am in the event of a lockout or other non-medical emergency
- Be physically on Harborview property from 12am to 6am
- Communicate with RMHBH Staff as needed
Fundraising Committee Volunteer
Typical duties include:
- Contact local organizations and secure tickets for our families
- Contact local businesses and secure discounts for services for our families
- Assist with House fundraising events and initiatives (example: Giving Tuesday, Gala, Holiday Party etc.)
- Meet monthly with Director of Development